As you age, eating well can have long-term benefits. There are many benefits to preparing and eating healthy meals such as improving mental acuteness, boosting energy levels and improving resistance and immunity to illnesses and diseases. For senior adults who prefer to age at home, meal preparation can be challenging and difficult. Fortunately, in-home care providers, such as Bright Home In-Home Care Carrolton Texas offers services such as primary home care programs which includes meal preparation. Bright Home In-Home Care Carrolton Texas has healthcare professionals such as caregivers and nutritionist who can assist our senior clientele with their meal preparation concerns.
A healthy diet can give the elderly a positive outlook and help them stay emotionally balanced. No matter how old you are it is never too late to improve your nutritional intake and start eating healthy. This means focusing on whole foods which have been processed minimally and customizing your diet to fit your health needs as well as keeping various health factors in check. Make sure to make these food staples in your diet:
- Fruits – 2-3 servings of color-rich fruits a day is very good for your health.
- Vegetables – 2-3 servings of dark leafy greens such as kale, spinach and broccoli, as well as colorful vegetables such as carrots and squash are good sources of antioxidants.
- Calcium – at least 1,200 mg of calcium rich food such as milk, yogurt, cheeses, tofu, almonds, kale, etc. will help maintain bone health and prevent bone fractures, bones brittleness and osteoporosis.
- Grains – make sure you choose whole grains over processed white flour to ensure more fiber and nutrients.
- Protein – around 1-1.5 grams per kilogram of bodyweight daily consumption should prove beneficial for adults over 50 years old.
Furthermore, here are a few tips on preparing a healthy meal for senior adults:
1. Use less salt – as too much salt can increase the risk of heart disease and high blood pressure, it is advised to lessen its consumption. Opt for reduced salt varieties of foods when preparing a meal and instead of using salt to add flavour when cooking, use herbs and spices instead.
2. Drink lots of water – keeping hydrated is very important. Water also aids in digestion and blood volume. You should make it a point to drink at least 6 glasses of water daily.
3. Lower your intake of saturated and trans fats – pastries, fried and battered foods, chips and chocolate are generally high in saturated fat and may also contain dangerous trans fats.
4. Stay away from alcoholic beverages – alcohol does not provide any essential nutrients to your body. Healthy men and women should consume less than 2 drinks on any given day to avoid alcohol-related diseases.
5. Maintain healthy teeth and gums – healthy teeth and gums are essential to eating well and healthy. Have your teeth checked regularly and ensure your dentures are adjusted correctly so that you can continue to enjoy a variety of foods and drinks without restriction.
Senior adults may encounter a lot of challenges when it comes to meal preparation. This includes issues like mobility when it comes to shopping for ingredients, weakened senses which includes lack of their sense of taste, digestion problems and medication which may negatively affect the taste of some food. For the elderly, it is always a good idea to have someone to help with meal planning and preparation. Our home aides from Bright Home In-Home Care Carrolton Texas provide meal preparation services to ensure that your diet will benefit your health and help you live a nutritious, wholesome and vigorous lifestyle.